Sunday, March 29, 2009

A small grove of young beech trees (Fagus grandiflora) grows at the scraggly wooded western boundary of our lot. The white/grey elephant leg trunks highlight a mostly morose forested winter backdrop. Though they are most definitely the nobility of our humble slice of the forest, I hadn't paid much attention to the beeches, beyond acknowledging their presence, until just the other day. Days of rain recently have left our yard a spongy mess. My feet were muddy when I could no longer hold the 3 cups of coffee I had after breakfast so, not wanting to take my shoes off to go inside, I walked down to the wood's edge to a certain strategically screened spot next to the big tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) to release some pressure. As I turned to walk back up to the vegetable garden I noticed how a few of last season's leaves still clung to the branches of the beech tree next to me. Thin clouds overhead cast a soft, full light on the leaves and buds. I quickly returned with my camera and made this image before the light was gone-- the remnants of seasons past and the promise of seasons to come.

Planted 3 Styrax japonica seedlings today. Bought some more pickets-- I love their fresh pine smell. bm



No comments: